Safety of our players is our first priority. Our campus is monitored by Thor Guard lightning prediction and warning system (Thor). Thor Guard measures atmospheric conditions on campus and surrounding area. When the conditions reach the threshold for potential lightning, an alarm will sound (one long blast of the sirens) and strobe lights will begin to flash.
Steps to take when the Thor Guard sirens and lights are activated:
- EVERYONE on campus must take immediate shelter, either in cars or in the restrooms (these are the safest structures).
- Only when the Thor Guard system gives the ‘all clear’(3 short siren blasts and the lights go off), may activities resume.
It is the responsibility of every adult on campus to comply with these steps and ensure that every child also complies. This is a Zero Tolerance safety condition for participating at T&C. Failure to comply is to do so at your own safety risk, and with possible expulsion from the campus and future activities.
You may view Thor Guard’s status from your smart phone or PC at this link: tandcsports.thormobile7.net
Additional Common-Sense Steps:
In the unlikely event that you see lightning in the vicinity or hear thunder and the Thor Guard system has not activated:
- Notify the Commissioner on Duty (COD) for your sport.
- The COD will consider this information and determine if activities should be suspended. The COD may use additional sources of information, such as the ‘Weatherbug’ app, in making the decision. Lightning strikes within 10 miles identified by the app warrant suspension of activities.
- If the COD decides to suspend activities, he/she will retrieve the bullhorn from the lightning box by the main office, and trigger 5 long blasts. Upon hearing these blasts, EVERYONE on campus, across all sports, must immediately seek shelter in cars or restrooms.
- The COD who initiated the suspension of activities will communicate the ‘all clear’ 30 minutes after the last reported thunder or lighting. This will be done through 2 blasts on the bullhorn.
Your help on complying to this policy will be appreciated.